Thursday, June 25, 2009

Defense? We talkin bout defense?

The A’s might have the worst defensive corner outfielders I have ever seen.

Watching the Giants play the A’s for 6 games, I’ve seen about all the A’s baseball I need to for the rest of the year.

I knew Jack Cust playing right field everyday was going to be a debacle, but I had no idea how clumsy Matt Holiday is with the glove.

One night, his throw hit a runner in the back, and last night he tried to bare hand a ball off the wall, and it went shooting into centerfield – I don’t know how he did it!

I will say this – while Billy Beane didn’t appear to give up a whole lot of value to get Holliday – after watching him play over a 6 day period, I am NOT impressed. There was a point in time I was ready to offer a blockbuster to get him in left field hitting third for the end of the season – I am over it now.

That defense might be OK when you are hitting .340 with 36 home runs and 137 RBIs; it most definitely is NOT when you are projected to hit .270, 16 home runs and 78 RBIs!

This might be one of the worst walk years in recent history…
If I were running the ship, it would be fire sale time. The A's could reload the system by unloading veterans on short term to deals to contenders who need a boost - Jason Giambi, Adam Kennedy, Nomar Garciaparra, and Orlando Cabrera - gone. It's not like the A's could get much worse at this point.


No comments:

Post a Comment