Monday, March 16, 2009

SMC GAELS - CRACKED RED FACES

After learning SMC was destined for the NIT, Omar Sahman said he was “heartbroken.”

What did he expect?

I knew this team was finished when Patty Mills went down. I remember, sitting at McCovey’s, watching his wrist go limp when attempting a simple warm up shot. When I saw that, I knew it was over. I even stopped paying attention to anything college basketball because I was so distraught.

And the galloping Gaels did not disappoint. They lost 3 of their next 4, sliding from a possible top-25 team to no chance of winning the WCC, something that looked very possible with Mills draining threes in that first half against Gonzaga.

Sure, they rebounded from the slow start without Mills, beating Utah State at home, and getting to the WCC tournament finals. But they stumbled to those finals, and were undressed on national TV by Gonzaga. Once that happened, all it took was a couple crazy teams winning their conference tournaments and Saint Mary’s bubble was burst.

But Omar is heartbroken. You know what – I would have kept the team out of the tournament just because of YOU:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/St-Mary-s-receives-technical-for-dunking-in-pre?urn=ncaab,147054

Some people are making a case for Saint Mary’s, as seen on yahoo: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/I-see-one-team-with-a-legitimate-reason-to-compl?urn=ncaab,148119

But Saint Mary’s is just this year's “I can’t believe they didn’t make it" team. But other than some sub-.500 teams winning their conference tournaments, I can’t look at say, a Maryland, and say we deserved to go ahead of them.

Enjoy the NIT – as much as I hope they win it, this will always be the reminder of the college basketball season that wasn’t. Had Mills never gotten hurt, they don’t lose road games to Portland and Santa Clara, and taking at least one game from Gonzaga if not two, they enter selection Sunday ranked, possibly getting a 5 seed with a sweet 16 appearance within grasp. Nevermore, nevermore.

I think this photo taken of Mario during selection Sunday wraps up Gael fan’s emotions for this disappointing season:

No comments:

Post a Comment