Friday, April 17, 2009

When did America go full retard?

I am ready to slap someone.

This division between Americans is getting ridiculous – and it is frustrating.

Let’s start off with this ridiculous Tea Party – has there ever been this much outrage over a tax increase? I tried searching over the internet without much luck.

But here was something I found – what the REAL Boston Tea Party was about. Did you know the Boston tea party (what this protest was mirroring) was over taxation without representation? Who knows that, besides everyone who passed 4th grad US History?

So how are these protestors not represented? We have our own elected officials. The ironic part about this is people’s actions, whether they know it or not, directly reflects the feeling they are not represented in government because the head guy isn’t a whitey. Yes I said it – it might not be the reason every person is protesting, but the symbolism of the act is astounding.

America looks ugly; no wonder people hate us. We are so worried about our own personal wellbeing - people forgot to look out for their neighbor.

The most frustrating part of this whole debacle is the people leading this movement. These are obviously people with plenty of free time on their hands (IE Jobless or without much work to do), and I am assuming they aren’t the people making 251k a year that are sweating these tax hikes. Why someone who makes 40k a year is worried about a millionaire getting taxed more fucking baffles me.

And usually I defend them, but I am going to put part of this on the media. I am usually one to defend media, but the bias is insane. Fixed News, or Fox Noise, (I can’t decide which term of Keith Olbermann’s I like better) seems to just try and fan the flames of hatred, getting people to pay attention to things like whether or not Obama’s dog was a “rescued animal”. Who gives a fuck?!?!? There is empty store front everywhere, signs everywhere that the economy is in trouble, and yet the media needs to focus on where the first family got their pooch. Give me a break.

The problem is that media has just become a launching pad for agendas, rather than presenting real news. Maybe if media outlets were more interested in presenting the facts rather than the BS, so many people wouldn’t be so misinformed about our current economic state.

One thing I have learned is that being progressive, as a person, a company, a community, a country, is very important. We can’t always do things the way they were done in the past. In many ways, we are forward thinking. But then I drive by some shit head with a “NObama” sign with the Kool Aid guy on it, and I just shake my head and wonder when they are going to start requiring IQ tests to register to vote.

Earth to these Americans – having a gun, not giving any money to the less fortunate, being racist and holding an American flag in the air does not make you patriotic. If you want to be a true patriot, look to the future and start doing things that are right for the whole, not just looking out for your slice of the pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment