Friday, April 3, 2009

When did we become slaves to our cell phones?

Ok – I have had it – we need to put down the cell phones.

I know – I am just as bad as most – I like to text, I talk on the phone in the car (screw bluetooth), I check my e-mail and sports scores on the internet – the 09 cell phone is a laptop in your pocket.

But we have become too cell phone centric. Perfect example – I hit the Bank of America cafeteria the other day, and some guy in front of me was getting all the same things – same food, soda machine, checker – but had to do all of it while he had his effing cell phone lodged between his shoulder and his face.

After I paid for my food, I walked to my table and noticed the offender – sitting at a table alone having a quiet lunch.

Word? Since when did we become a society that can’t let a call go unanswered, can’t pick up and say “hey, I’m trying to pick up lunch, let me call you back when my hands aren’t full”?

The simple answer is Miss Manners would take a chainsaw to our generation – we have absolutely no common courtesy when it comes to cell phone usage in public. Its not just our gen – Barack is addicted to his blackberry!
Well I am putting my foot down – putting it down to loud personal conversation havers on BART, to people who just stop walking in front of you so they can read/send a text, ro just any sort of general rudeness when it comes to cell phones.

And next time I get a call, I’ll try taking my yelling ass outside rather than force my convo upon everyone… it’s a sickness people – one we need to fix!

No comments:

Post a Comment