Friday, December 26, 2008

Kanye's kickin' it Old School

You know, I promised this wouldn’t be an all-sports blog – I need to diversify!

That being said, I want to talk Kanye!

Isn’t Kanye great? He keeps it real. I mean real, dawg. This is great - because as a lot of you can attest, one Dave Chappelle warned us that, sometimes, keeping it real can go wrong.

But forget that – Kanye, or, Mr. West Mr. West, speaks what is on his mind:

- He doesn’t think George Bush likes black people, so BAM – there it goes across the airwaves for all to see; “George Bush doesn’t care about black people.”
- He called himself the voice of a generation, also calling himself the music industry’s “Michael Jordan.” He also called Justin Timberlake Grant Hill (which is hilarious).

He isn’t the cookie cutter, Crash Davis type celebrity that all famous people seem to turn into. There is nothing but “we’ve got to play them one game at a time,” type personalities out there – who isn’t ready for a star who wants to act like a star?

But none of this is the reason I came to the Kanye West table. I just saw his new video for the song “Heartless.”


It’s most definitely worth a watch

The thing I love about it is the animation. Plus, the song has kind of a double meaning to me.

I hate CG animation. I mean, sure, Wall-E looked good, and some movies, like Toy Story, have been very enjoyable. But in the process, we lost the great animation that came from hand. To me, it’s almost like when Kanye is singing “How could you be so heartless?”, to me he is talking about the heart in a hand drawn cartoon, as opposed as it just being “generated” by a machine.
Just watching this video takes me back – Bambi, Sleeping Beauty, Cool World, Bebe’s Kids… you get my point.

It’s just nice to see someone still cares about the little things – not just what is more cost effective in today’s safe, copy cat society.

So you keep on keeping on Kanye – and like Katy Perry said on Fuse last week, “He’s always good and he always brings it. I love his confidence too; I think it’s really hot. “

“Be a Beatle, be Elvis, why not?” replied Steven Smith.

Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment