Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Yankees get their man... Again?

One thing you will find on this blog, I will be doing a fair amount of sports blogging. But more specifically, I love discussing moves made by teams – I have always longed for the power to make the moves that win championships. Since I do not have that power, I can always comment on those who do.

The latest news is the Yankees signing the latest man to join the 100$ million club, Mark Teixeira.

I have always complained when the Yankees threw their cash around, lavishly outspending other teams and making it look like the most uneven of playing fields.

But I have softened my stance in days, and there are a number of reasons why:

1. NY is expensive. Sure, a lot of major towns are expensive. But I dare you to hope onto craigslist and look for a nice Manhatten apartment – you’ll crap your pants. The affect is that the Yankees HAVE to pay more than other teams, if nothing else than for cost of living.
2. NY is pressure filled. It has a stigma about it, again raising prices for Free Agents, like CC Sabathia, who wanted to pitch on another coast.
3. I know other fans, including myself, get infuriated with the Yankees not just outspending low revenue teams, but their ability to spend three and four times as much in payroll as a team like the Giants, who are a profitable organization with plenty of revenue. But would we complain if all of the sudden, our team decided to raise their payroll to 200 million a year? HELL NO. Fans would try and name a street after the owner. So if you are the Yankees, why not go for it? They are constantly interesting and competitive. It has allowed them to rake in unprecedented revenues, but in turn it allows them to spend freely and get away with the occasional mistake, all while turning in a product that is satisfactory to their customers.

All of this shows, as much as I hate to write it, the Yankees are the model organization. They maximized their market and revenues, which has allowed them to spend enough money that, even with one or two high priced busts (see Kevin Brown), they will still complete and not see a dip in revenues that would affect their money printing product.

Should it continue? There is only one way to fix it – a salary cap. It would work both ways – not just a cap, but a floor as well, a minimum amount to spend – which would definitely need to be set at a level where teams currently will need to spend more money.

I am not sure if I am in favor of a salary cap, because I would like to bet it would take a strike or a lockout to make it happen, but until there is one, the Yankees will have an advantage,

No comments:

Post a Comment